Despite being used incorrectly as interchangeable, interpretation and translation are not synonymous. In interpreting, the interpreter will take in a complex concept from one language, choose the most appropriate vocabulary in the target language to faithfully render the message in a linguistically, emotionally, tonally, and culturally equivalent message. Translation is the transference of meaning from text to text , with the translator having time and access to resources to produce an accurate document or verbal artifact. — Wikipedia
This is a list of some of the categories of translation I have done, and under each category are brief examples of my work
1.Business plan/ Finance:
- 23-pages Capital Stone Holdings, Inc Business Plan for EB-5 Immigrant Investors (~9500 English words)
This business plan explains how the immigrant investors can benefit from Capital Stone Equity Fund I, LP. Topics cover executive
summary, the environment for banking, capital structure, strategy and process, and etc.
- 22-pages GUARDiON Health Sciences Business Plan August 2010 (~9000 English words)
This document highlighted the company and its products as well as market research and strategy for age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- The Confucius Institute at San Diego State University - 2010 Confucius Classroom Applications (~17,000 English words)
Translated 10 applications for Confucius Classroom. These aimed to strengthen cooperation in education between China and the US, and to promote the development of Chinese language at the K-8 levels.
- GUARDiON Health Sciences Business Plan August 2010 (~9000 English words)
This document highlighted the company and its products for age-related macular degeneration (AMD). The document illustrated market research and strategy, introduced the management team, and explained the medical benefits and the technical documentation of their AMD preventative products in detail.
4. Real estate
- Several letters for potential investors in China, introducing the real estate market in San Diego and its possible opportunities for Chinese (~1000 English words)
- Antenuptial Agreement (~1500 English words)
Agreement prior to marriage. The content included couples’ legal responsibilities and the provisions for division of property and spousal support in the event of divorce.
- Immigration interview materials (~5500 English words)
Immigration materials include VISA forms, greencard forms, children’s alimony applications etc.
- Vancouver College of Art and Design program guide (~4800 English words)
This introduced the college and its programs. They include information regarding Web Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Marketing and merchandising for Fashion, Fashion Design, as well as 3D Modeling Animation Art and Design.
7. Certificates and Degrees
- Bachelor and Masters degree translation as well as various certificate translations (~1300 Chinese characters)
- International Data Center Introduction (~1200 English words)
This introduced China Unicom’s networks and secure IDC operational areas across different countries. The document also highlighted its service to government agencies, SMBs, SMLEs, other carriers and service providers.
9. Press release:
- Translation of more than 20 news reports for the Confucius Institute at San Diego State University.
Translation sample: http://confucius.sdsu.edu/chinese/news.html
10. Formal conference speech:
- Agenda for China Institute Celebration Dinner (~1700 English words)
Three formal speeches given by the supervisor, president, and director for the Chinese and American Educational Leadership institute.